- Children Act 1989 duty of local authorities to safeguard and promote children’s welfare and when to initiate care proceedings.
- Social Services and Wellbeing (Wales) Act 2014 requirements for regional safeguarding boards in Wales. Replaced part of the Children Act 1989 and 2004. Changed the focus to prevention and early intervention and gave individuals a stronger voice, more choice and control. Strengthened the powers for safeguarding children and adults at risk, as well as made changes to improve services and accountability.
- Rights of Children and Young Persons (Wales) Measure 2011 requires due regard to the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child.
- Wellbeing of Future Generations (Wales) Act 2015 includes the 7 wellbeing goals for a resilient Wales, a more equal Wales, a Healthier Wales and a Wales of Cohesive Communities. These are to be delivered through the 5 ways of working: collaboration, prevention, involvement, integration and long-term.
- Children Act 2004 accountability of partners towards safeguarding.
For individual legislation linked to specific activities of child abuse please see the legislation sections under the different topics.